Monday, February 10, 2014

Effortless Christianity

Recently, I've been seeing articles and blogs and comments about those crazy "grace people" who believe in "effortless Christianity." It's always negative and rife with warnings about the slippery slopes we are teetering on as we place more and more of our confidence in Christ as the sole means of finishing the good work God began in us. Although I've never heard tell of "effortless" Christianity, and it is not the way things are believed among those I fellowship with,  I am WELL AWARE of denominations, groups and preachers that try and place everything written in the scriptures as "imperative" if we will be TRULY saved. This is what I lived under for so many years. Believing, or faith, itself, was never enough in such circles to accomplish anything of lasting or eternal value. Everything that was necessary to be accomplished was going to be as much by the sweat of our brow as the curse God placed on Adam after sending him out of the garden. The more recent enlightenment on grace has helped me to become free from such strangling notions, and rightfully divide that which is TRULY IMPERATIVE from what isn't.

So, I can fully understand why it may appear to some that I have declined into a more relaxed approach to the Christian faith, and why it threatens their vital need to be in control of ensuring that every step stays on target. I’m sure it seems to some I have formerly been in fellowship with that I’ve jumped off the deep end and am "doing nothing" by comparison to the way they saw my rigorous spiritual life and practice in previous days, but that's OK. I now see things through a different lens. Let's face it, the more I relinquish control and hand over to the Lord for doing and completing, the less work I have. I guess you could say, it's becoming more effortless. On the flipside, however, I see lots of fear, anxiety, instability, superstition and unbelief even in those that were regarded as "pillars" in the circles I once attended. Because I no longer subscribe to their ways and means of faith and practice, I'm the one who needs serious prayer. And so it goes...

I've changed... but that is what this life, this journey, is also about. Some people proudly lay claim that their doctrines and belief systems haven't changed in 40 years. Really? That's more frightening to me than people leaving a more legalist and works-driven approach to a more “effortless” one. At least people, like me, are ASKING QUESTIONS about what they have been taught and testing the ropes according to what's clearly written in the scriptures. If you want the truth, I have a greater admiration for people who are willing to take that risk than for those who try and live safely within the confines of trusting their traditions, unchallenged doctrines, and rigorous self-EFFORT, never even peeking to see what is thriving outside the doors of their four walls. Christianity has never been based upon our efforts for success, or maintaining grandma's "old-time religion." It is based upon faith. Faith alone in the solid foundation of Christ alone. I'll take another cup of the "effortless" Christianity, thanks! Goes down pretty smooth, and satisfies to the last drop. Yessir!
 
Drink deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment